Thursday 22 January 2009

Sinking

Sinking is the internal, downward movement of ch'i. It occurs as a result of relaxation and allowing a change in the substantial solidity of the body - the body softens and melts. It has a direct effect on the increase of substantial, solid accumulation, or storage, of force.

When a substance melts it transforms its state from a solid unmoving state to a fluid movement influenced by gravity.

The key ideas are : Relaxation, Transformation, Melting.
Bristol 22.1.09

2 comments:

Jay said...

Recently, when I practise Tai-Chi I get some symptoms of sleeplyness or tiredness. I feel allert but my eyes get very droopy and I start yawning. I have noticed when my mum practises Chi Kung, she also starts yawning, mm. Is it just me that get very droopy eye lids? I can also say I have been connecting to the chi more recently but I wonder why these things happen?

A Peck said...

As usual with t'ai chi there are two opposite, complementary and balancing principles.

The sinking force is Yin in character. It is a movement towards the earth. It is dense and heavy in nature.

The complementary opposite is Yang in character. It is a movement to the heavens. This is called raising the shen. The physical way to practise this is to create a feeling of a lifting force at the crown of the head. At the same time you need central equilibrium and relaxed sinking force. It is correct to begin with the process of letting go into the downward movement first.

On an emotional level, cultivating the Yang includes the feeling of awe and inspiration. It is the creative mind, it is compassion and joy.

Sleepyness comes when there is not enough lifting of the yang or there is some blockage to this.