Saturday 28 February 2009

Not much time to practise?

James writes... I want to get into the habit of doing some tai chi in the mornings, but mine are invariably hectic (toddlers, work etc.!). If I only have a few minutes, is it best to go through the form or just do some of the preparatory exercises (and, if so, which ones)?

It is good to do the first three preparations and then do some form if you are short of time.

Whatever you do try to cultivate a feeling that you have all day to do what you do. If you are thinking that you do not have much time when you are actually practising you will not be able to relax deeply. If you practise for fifteen minutes there is time to practise something very useful. Even ten minutes can be beneficial if you are wholehearted. Your practise is also a reminder to relax during the day and connect with yourself and others.

When I was working full time I got up early and practised. It was not long before I felt the benefit of this to the whole of my day.

Bristol 28.2.09

No comments: